Thursday 23 December 2010

The Holly King and The Oak King

Merry Meet Everyone!

...And a very happy Yule to everyone too!! So today I thought that I would retell the tale of the Holly King and the Oak King!

For those of you who aren't aware, The Holly King and the Oak King is a pagan legend that tells the story of the two ruling kings (and enemies) that battle throughout the wheel of the year. At the winter solstice (Yule) the Oak King battles with his counterpart, the Holly King. He kills him on this day and takes the throne. He he remains until the summer solstice (Litha).

Upon arrival of the summer solstice, the Holly King returns and reclaims the throne. Hence the wheel of the year and the cycle of life can continue....

... I wonder if like me, the take makes you look at these two trees differently? Also, I tend to find that they both seem to grow close to each other... In fact, I have both growing in my garden!

Let me know how many of you incorporated the two kings in your yule or litha celebrations? Until next time, Blessed Be x x

2 comments:

  1. I have often visualized this battle, over the years, in different ways. To this day I am still not sure which one I would actually cheer for:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by to wish you a wonderful New Year night, and a blessed 2011, my friend.

    We had a lovely Litha creating a Green Man mask to represent the changing of the season. He's very much into the Kings lore! ;)

    Kisses from us!

    ReplyDelete